Man dead, police office stabbed in Frederick arrest attempt

March 03, 2006|by ERIN CUNNINGHAM

FREDERICK, Md. - A man is dead and a Frederick police officer was recovering from stab wounds Thursday after a drug investigation turned violent Wednesday night in the 1000 block of Columbine Drive in Frederick.

Frederick Police were investigating an anonymous tip that drugs were being sold from an apartment on Columbine Drive.

Officer 1st Class Steven Brown approached a man near Fairview Avenue and Columbine Drive to arrest him after confirming that the man, Bruce Robert Day Jr., 38, was involved in a drug transaction with an undercover officer, police said.

Day ran toward a building, then turned and charged at Brown taking the officer to the ground, police said. Brown's gun fell to the ground during the struggle, and Day was able to grab a folding knife that Brown had clipped to his pants, officers said.

Police said Day stabbed Brown along his lower back and slashed his forearm.


Officers said Day refused to drop the knife when other officers ordered him to do so. When Day began to come toward the other officers, one officer shot him, police said.

Cpl. Ronald Figgers fired four rounds at Day, police said. An investigation by the Chief Medical Examiner showed that Day was struck three times. One round struck Day in the hand, a second round struck him in the shoulder and a third hit him in the chest, police said.

Day was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Brown, a member of the Frederick Police Department since Oct. 4, 2002, was released from Washington County Hospital after being treated for his injuries.

Figgers has been a member of the department since Jan. 31, 1994, and is the assistant supervisor of the drug enforcement unit. He has been placed on administrative leave with pay during an investigation into the shooting, police said.

The substance purchased from Day by the undercover officer was a noncontrolled dangerous substance manufactured to resemble narcotics, police said.

Police Chief Kim C. Dine said in a written release that Figgers' actions were in compliance with the law and departmental use of force regulations.

An investigation into the incident was continuing.

The Herald-Mail Articles