Wildcats need double overtime to stop Railroaders

March 01, 2006|by CURT HORNBECKER / Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT - Tim Alexander lived a dream.

Williamsport's senior guard spun away from his defender and buried a 15-footer from the foul line with one second left in the second overtime to lift the Wildcats to a 75-73 victory over Brunswick in the Maryland Class 1A West, East sectional semifinal Tuesday night.

"I just wanted to get a shot off with an opportunity to get the rebound and get another shot off," said Alexander, who finished with 17 points. "It's a shot you gotta hit."

Trailing throughout most of regulation, Williamsport (17-7) took its first lead of the game with 83 seconds left in the fourth quarter on a Will Taylor layup, part of 9-0 run that gave the Wildcats a 57-53 advantage with 36 seconds left. But two 3-pointers from Andrew Derr in a 9-second span allowed the Railroaders to pull even at 59-59 to end regulation.


Williamsport again found itself ahead by three late in the first OT, but Kendall Naylor completed an old-fashioned three-point with 13 seconds left to force a second overtime.

A pair of Zack Gunther triples late in the second OT nearly forced a third extra period until Alexander's clutch jumper.

Brunswick (8-16) managed to stay alive from beyond the arc, connecting on 10 of 23 (43.5 percent), including three-for-three in the overtime periods.

"We struggled all year shooting the ball," said Railroaders coach Dan McLane. "It seems lately we found our stroke, at just the right time. That kept us in the game tonight."

With starting forward Phillip Jordan fouling out with 47 seconds left in regulation, the OT picture appeared bleak for Williamsport, but things evened out after Derr and Chris Papanicolas - who combined for 32 Brunswick points - fouled out in the first OT.

"For as many times as we didn't make the plays we needed to make, and as many times as (the Railroaders) hit difficult shots we could have hung our heads," said Williamsport coach Scott Mowbray. "But we didn't. What an effort."

Brunswick led by as many as 13 points in the second quarter, but seven unanswered points from Chad Bikle and Tyler Beard to end the half pulled the margin to within striking distance, 27-22.

Williamsport finished with six players in double figures. Beard had 15 points, including a 13-for-16 night at the free throw line.

The Herald-Mail Articles