Advertisement

Firefighter hurt while fighting Pa. house fire

February 27, 2006|by JENNIFER FITCH

DRY RUN, PA. - A firefighter was injured Sunday afternoon while tackling a fire at 19553 Amberson Road in Franklin County, according to Sam Peterson, chief of the Fannett-Metal Fire Department.

The firefighter, whom Peterson declined to identify, suffered what Peterson described as minor injuries but was taken to Chambersburg (Pa.) Hospital as a precaution.

Peterson said the fire left a two-story, wood-frame house uninhabitable for the family of six who rented it from Ken Stake of Fayetteville, Pa.

Paul and Tracey Ramsey and their four children, ages 2 to 12, have found temporary housing but would benefit from community donations, Peterson said.

Advertisement

Approximately 50 firefighters from eight companies battled the blaze, which originated in a first-floor wood stove while no one was home. It was reported by a passer-by at 2:46 p.m. and firefighters were there until about 6 p.m., Peterson said.

He said one side of the house and the attic were gutted, while smoke, heat and water damage elsewhere made the home temporarily inhabitable.

"The winds did their part," said Peterson, referring to blustery conditions in the area Sunday.

He said the injured firefighter slipped and fell a short distance while moving between a ladder and porch roof.

In addition to Fannett-Metal, responding fire companies were Metal Township, Pleasant Hall, West End, Shade Gap, Vigilant Hose, Newburg and Cumberland Valley Hose.

"There was a large turnout. I appreciate the help all the companies gave us," Peterson said.

Anyone interested in making contributions can call the Red Cross at 717-264-6214.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|