Little Miss Hagerstown Speedway will represent the speedway at special events and races, presenting trophies or checkered flags to winners in victory lane, General Manager Lisa Bragunier says.
Host to World of Outlaws sprint events in the past, the half-mile, dirt-track speedway will be part of the new National Sprint Tour with races on June 10 and Aug. 6.
During the off-season, sprint drivers split into two organizations, the National Sprint Tour and the World of Outlaws, Bragunier says. The National Sprint Tour features top drivers Steve Kinser, Joey Saldana and Danny Lasoski.
The sprints also will be at the speedway for Pennsylvania Speedweek on June 28 and for the season finale, Octoberfest 350, on Oct. 28 and Oct. 29.
This year's schedule also includes a first-time event, Exhibition Charity Race, on May 26, with free admission to give people a chance to see what the races are like, Bragunier says. Charitable donations can be made to Speedway Children's Charity, which gives money to children's charities.
If you go ...
WHAT: Hagerstown Speedway East Coast Opener, late models and modifieds.
WHEN: 1 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26, weather permitting. The rain date is Sunday, March 5, at 1 p.m. If there is inclement weather, call 301-582-0640 to check event status.
WHERE: Hagerstown Speedway, 15112 National Pike.
COST: General admission is $15; free for children younger than 12.
DIRECTIONS: Go west on U.S. 40. The speedway is six miles west of Hagerstown on the right.
MORE: For more information, go to www.hagerstownspeedway.com or call 301-582-0640. Parking is free.
Weather permitting, the Hagerstown Speedway west of Hagerstown will host more than 30 events this year.
Among them are:
· Sunday, Feb. 26, 1 p.m. - East Coast Opener.
· Saturday, April 29, 7 p.m. - 25th annual Stanley Schetrompf Classic, Lucas Oil Dirt Series late models. Also, a pure-stock special event.
· Friday, May 26, 7:30 p.m. - Exhibition Charity Race. Free admission. Donations can be made to Speedway Children's Charity, which gives money to children's charities.
· Saturday, May 27, 7 p.m. - 59th anniversary Classic. Mid-Atlantic Championship Series (MACS) late models. Also, a pure-stock special event.
· Saturday, June 10, 7 p.m. - National Sprint Tour and late-model races.
· Friday, July 14, 8 p.m., and Saturday, July 15, 8 p.m., and Sunday, July 16, 2 p.m. - Monster Truck Nationals.
· Saturday, July 29, 6 p.m. - 25th anniversary Hub City Classic. American Motorcyclist Association. Grand National Motorcycles.
· Saturday, Aug. 5, 7 p.m. - 25th anniversary Conococheague 100. World of Outlaws late models. Also, a pure-stock special event.
· Sunday, Aug. 6, 6:30 p.m. - National Sprint Tour. Also, a late-model sportsman special event.
· Friday, Sept. 22, 7 p.m. - 32nd annual Hub City National. Qualifying for MACS late model. Also, pure-stock open qualifying and race.
· Saturday, Sept. 23, 7 p.m. - 32nd annual Hub City National 150 with late models. Also, late-model sportsman open.
· Friday, Oct. 27, through Sunday, Oct. 29 - Octoberfest. Camping party at 7 p.m. Friday. Nineteenth annual Octoberfest 350 qualifying for all four divisions at noon Saturday. Octoberfest 350 at noon Sunday features big-block modifieds, small-block modifieds, late models and sprints.