Gustines gets revenge and a regional title

February 20, 2006|By CHRIS CARTER


Colton Gustines isn't one to rub in a victory, but the Jefferson junior couldn't help but show his exuberance after avenging his only loss of the season.

Gustines scored a takedown and nearfall with less than 20 seconds remaining in the third period to break a 1-1 tie and defeat East Fairmont's Drew Jenkins 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the West Virginia AAA Region II Tournament.

Gustines said it was his No. 1 victory and as the final three seconds ticked off the clock, he showed his joy by pumping his fist.

"It's the first time ever (celebrating before the match ended)," he said. "I'm just happy that I won."

Gustines evened the score with Jenkins, who notched a 4-3 decision over him at the Winner's Choice tournament last month.

"This time I came out more aggressive," Gustines said. "I thought that whoever got the first takedown was going to win."


Gustines tried for the upper hand early, but was turned away each time by the swift East Fairmont freshman.

"(Jenkins) has a pretty solid stance and is tough to open up," said Jefferson coach Ward Sigler. "Colton went for the takedown in the first period, but he did a great job of scrambling and staying out of it."

Gustines finally broke Jenkins with time winding down to prove his theory true and win his second consecutive region title. He was the lone champion for Jefferson, while Chris Ho and Garrick Skubon each placed second.

The two other champions from the area were Hedgesville's Danny Armstrong at 103 and Musselman's Dustin Haislip at 125. Armstrong roughed up Jefferson's Chris Ho with nine back points and picked up an easy 15-0 tech fall.

Haislip was equally dominant, pinning East Fairmont's Zach Morton in just 1 minutes, 11 seconds.

"I went out there and shot a single on him. Then he was toward the edge so I brought him back in," Haislip said. "Later I got him in a cross-face cradle and just squeezed."

Not so fortunate were Haislip's Musselman teammates. Three other Applemen reached the finals, but two - Billy Barrett at 130 and Jared Weatherholtz at 171 - were edged in overtime. The third, Luke Dawson at 145, was pinned by Steve Mick of Fairmont Senior in just 36 seconds.

Barrett led East Fairmont's Mason Bailey in the 3-2 third period, but was whistled for stalling with 10 seconds left to tie the match. Bailey scored with 11 seconds left in the second overtime for a 4-3 win.

Meanwhile, Weatherholtz was on the receiving end of a penalty point against North Marion's Matt Watson to force overtime. Still, he had a chance at an escape to close out the third period and notch the win, but was unable to do so. He surrendered a takedown in the extra period and fell, 6-4.

"You never like to lose in overtime of the finals, but (Barrett and Weatherholtz) took strong kids to the limit," said Musselman coach Mark Cagle.

Joining Armstrong in the finals for Hedgesville was Greg Lyman at 215. Lyman suffered through a horrid first period and was nearly pinned twice before being saved by the bell. Lyman rebounded in the second and third periods, but couldn't make any substantial gains and lost, 9-3.

A Lyman win would have helped Hegdesville's chances at a team title, but those hopes were likely doomed by an abysmal second round with 11 losses.

"We crashed and burned in the second round," said Hedgesville caoch Bill Whittington. "If we win some of those matches then we have a shot at running away with it. That's two years in a row we had a chance to run away with the thing and we gave it away."

Jon Kriss, Joe Shetler, Andrew Shaffer, Shawn Flynn, Billy Forquer, Dustin Foltz and Justin Everhart rebounded for third-place finishes to put Hedgesville second with 196 points behind only East Fairmont (215).

Musselman finished fifth with 134, Jefferson was sixth with 94 and Martinsburg was last with 47.

The Herald-Mail Articles