Advertisement

Man gets prison time in Pa. shooting

February 16, 2006|by DON AINES

chambersburg@herald-mail.com

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Chambersburg man who wounded another man with a shotgun blast last year was sentenced Wednesday in Franklin County Court to six to 23 months in the county prison.

"I think you got caught up in the street mentality, in the thug mentality where everything is settled with a gun," Judge Douglas W. Herman told Joshua D. Webb as he sentenced him on one count of recklessly endangering another person.

Webb, 21, of 83 N. Franklin St., pleaded guilty to the charge Dec. 19 in exchange for other more serious charges being dismissed, his attorney Eric Weisbrod said. Herman told Webb he was "lucky" because, had he been convicted of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, he would have faced a long state prison sentence.

Advertisement

Webb hit Dennis Hicks Jr. of Chambersburg in the legs with pellets fired from a 12-gauge shotgun Sept. 23. The shooting took place outside of Webb's former residence on Park Circle, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, Webb told police he stepped out of his house when he saw Hicks and two other men, Willard Dubois and Seneca Powe, both of 26 N. Federal St., Chambersburg, approaching his home.

The affidavit stated Webb told police one of the three fired a pistol at him and he went back inside and came out with a shotgun. Webb told police he fired one round over their heads and another to the side before the three men fled into a wooded area.

Shortly thereafter, police stopped a vehicle on Highland Avenue in which Hicks, Dubois and Powe were occupants. The affidavit stated Dubois told police he fired a 9 mm pistol at Webb, but only after Webb had fired on them.

Police said a 9 mm bullet and spent shell casing were found at the scene of the shooting.

"I never meant for this situation to happen," Webb told Herman. "I meant to keep those men and their bullets as far away from my family as possible."

Dubois, 20, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of simple assault and recklessly endangering another person, according to court records. His case is scheduled for the March trial term, according to the District Attorney's Office.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|