Advertisement

Fire breaks out in school restroom

February 14, 2006

A fire in a boys bathroom forced a short evacuation of Northern Middle School about 8:30 a.m. Monday, according to Washington County Public Schools spokeswoman Carol Mowen.

"Some paper products in the restroom area were smoldering," Mowen said.

School staff pulled an alarm after discovering the situation, Mowen said. Students and staff evacuated the building and Hagerstown Fire Department responded to the scene, she said.

Students returned to the building within 15 minutes, Mowen said.

Classes adjacent to the bathroom where the fire was found moved to other areas while the smoke cleared, Mowen said.

Mowen said Monday afternoon the investigation into the fire was continuing. According to school system policy, students who set fires are subject to suspension, Mowen said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|