Advertisement

Recalls

February 12, 2006

Lasko Products Inc. is recalling 5.6 million Lasko, General Electric, Galaxy and Air King fans because an electrical failure in the motor can cause them to ignite.

The West Chester, Pa., company has received 42 reports of fires possibly associated with motor failures, with seven reports of injuries, including burns and smoke inhalation. At least eight of the reported fires resulted in extensive property damage.

The company has recalled:

Lasko box fan models 3700, 3723, 3733 and 3750; cyclone fan models 3510, 3550, 3800 and 35105; Wind Machine models 3300 and 3521; Air Companion model 3515; Air Director model 2135; and Wind Tunnel models 3400 and 3410.

General Electric box fan model 106620 and cyclone fan models 106600 and 106630.

Galaxy box fan model 3733.

Air King cyclone fan model 9500 (20-inch deluxe pivot fan) and Air Companion model 9515 (15-inch deluxe pivot fan).

The fans were sold for $10 to $25 at discount department stores nationwide from September 2000 through February 2004.

Advertisement

Consumers should stop using the fans immediately and contact Lasko to receive a free fan protection cord adapter.

For more information, call the company at 800-984-3311 or go to www.laskoproducts.com or www.cpsc.gov.

About 50,900 dry chemical fire extinguishers, manufactured by Strike First Corp., because the extinguishers can fail to discharge properly when the trigger is pulled, putting consumers at risk of fire-related injuries.

The company has received three reports of the fire extinguishers failing to discharge properly.

The recall includes Strike First 2.5-pound and 5-pound dry chemical fire extinguishers with model numbers WBSF-ABC110AP, WBSF-ABC210AP, and WBSF-ABC340AP.

The fire extinguisher were sold at dealers nationwide from December 2002 through April 2004.

For more information, call the company at 800-255-5515 or go to www.strikefirstusa.com or www.cpsc.gov.

About 55,000 Husqvarna Viking Designer I sewing and embroidery machines, distributed by VSM Sewing Inc., because electrical arcing can occur in the machines' power supply, posing a risk of fire.

The company reported three incidents of these machines overheating and catching fire. One incident resulted in extensive smoke damage to a consumer's home, and the other two incidents caused minor property damage.

The machines were sold at independent sewing machine dealers nationwide from January 1999 through December 2004.

For more information, call the company at 800-446-2333 or go to www.husqvarnaviking.com or www.cpsc.gov.

- The Associated Press

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|