Wildcats knock off No. 6 Hubs

February 04, 2006|By JACK HILL III

Sophomore forward Morgan Smith drove the lane for a layup with 4 seconds remaining to lead Williamsport to a 44-42 upset win over No. 6 North Hagerstown in an MVAL Antietam game Friday night at North.

"We called a timeout at the end," Williamsport coach Chris Malott said. "I told them to get the ball inbounds. I said, 'Whoever catches it, take it to the basket.' Morgan Smith did just that. I am full of exhilaration."

Smith was just glad that the ball went in.

"I was nervous, but I was confident," Smith said. "I caught the ball and I just drove to the basket. I was just hoping that I was going to make it. It was definitely a big win and a big confidence boost to this team."

Smith scored a team-high 18 points, while her older sister, Lindsey, added 11 points and eight rebounds for Williamsport (5-10, 3-6). Leah Mellott grabbed seven rebounds and Jessica Palmer had three steals.


"There are no words to describe this," Malott said. "I am so happy for the kids. They played very hard. They deserved to win. We played well against Boonsboro on Tuesday. The effort from that night carried over into today. Some teams want to give up when they are 4-10. But our kids want to keep on playing hard. The best part is that there is no quit in this team."

Shawayna Morel had 18 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and four steals for North (9-7, 5-4). Larae Allen had six rebounds and two blocked shots.

"The Williamsport kids played hard and they did what they had to do to win the game," North coach Barry Brown said. "I thought that we came out flat at the start of the game. Other than a few short spurts, we played with very little energy and enthusiasm. Defensively, I thought that we didn't play the way we typically do. Offensively, we didn't move the ball well at all."

The Wildcats scored 11 consecutive points to build an 11-2 lead with 3:24 to go in the first quarter. The Hubs answered back with 12 straight points to regain the lead with 5:58 left in the second quarter, beginning the see-saw battle that continued right up to the final buzzer.

The Herald-Mail Articles