Advertisement

Firefighter hurt battling blaze in Berkeley County

February 03, 2006|by ROBERT SNYDER

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A firefighter was injured Thursday while helping to battle an early-morning blaze in Berkeley County.

The firefighter suffered a broken shoulder after falling down a flight of stairs inside the house, which had filled with smoke, said Baker Heights Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Greg Noll.

The firefighter, a member of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center fire department, had been released from the hospital by late Thursday, said Barbara Corbin, public affairs officer at the medical center in Martinsburg. She declined to release the firefighter's name.

Noll said the firefighter was removed from the scene by the Berkeley County Ambulance Authority. No further information was available.

Noll said the fire, which started around 7:30 a.m. in a house on Backing Circle Drive, east of Martinsburg, appeared to be started in the house's bedroom by a candle. Noll estimated the house in the Stone-brook subdivision sustained $50,000 in damage.

Advertisement

"Most of the damage was in the bedroom but it smoked up the house pretty good," Noll said, adding the house also sustained water damage.

Volunteer fire companies from South Berkeley, Bedington and Baker Heights responded to the fire, along with the Martinsburg Fire Department, Shepherdstown Fire Department, the fire company from the Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Berkeley County Office of Emergency Services, Noll said.

Firefighters worked for about 20 minutes to put out the fire, Noll said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|