Section of Pa. 16 to close temporarily

January 28, 2006|By DON AINES


The Thursday morning fire that gutted a three-story apartment house will keep a section of Pa. 16 in the borough closed until the building is demolished, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

The department announced Friday that the road will be closed between North Allison Street and U.S. 11 until Wednesday while a contractor tears down the building.

"We want to have it opened as soon as possible," but the closure is necessary because of the potential danger of part of the building falling into the roadway," department spokesman Mike Crochunis said. It is possible the road could reopen before Wednesday, he said.

The department announcement stated, however, that a portion of Washington Street could remain closed for a longer period.

Borough Manager Kenneth Myers said PennDOT has placed message boards on Pa. 16 east and west of town and on Interstate 81 directing nonlocal traffic around the roadblock. He said Fayetteville Contractors Inc. of Fayetteville, Pa., will begin taking down the building this morning.


Westbound traffic on Pa, 16 will be directed onto North Allison Street, left onto Walter Avenue, south onto U.S. 11 and then right onto Pa. 16, according to the PennDOT announcement.

Eastbound traffic will be detoured south on U.S. 11 to Exit 3 and then north on I-81 to Exit 5, according to the announcement.

Myers said westbound truck and nonlocal traffic should take I-81 south at Exit 5 to Exit 3, then go north on U.S. 11 to Pa. 16.

Thirteen people from five families were displaced by the fire at 5 S. Washington St., as well as two businesses, R&M Computers and Morningstar: A Perfect Gift. Pennsylvania Sate Police Fire Marshal Jeffrey Sarver said Thursday the fire apparently began in the attic of the building and he estimated damage at approximately $450,000.

The fire resulted in the Greencastle-Antrim School District being closed Thursday, but classes were back on schedule Friday, Business Manager Richard Lipella said.

"They still had some streets closed downtown, but our buses worked around it," he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles