Repeat performance - Greencastle beats Waynesboro

January 21, 2006|By CURT HORNBECKER


A little reverse psychology worked like a charm for Garon Gembe.

Down by 11 at the half, the Greencastle boys basketball coach used part of his halftime speech to prepare the No. 6 Blue Devils to lose their showdown against arch-rival Waynesboro.

"I told them at the half that if (the Indians) continue to shoot that well, we would probably lose the ball game," said Gembe. "We had to suck it up a little bit defensively, and we did."

The Blue Devils held the No. 7 Indians to just 16 second-half points to secure a 55-52 victory Friday night in Mid-Penn Capital play, knocking Waynesboro out of what had been a three-way tie atop the division with Greencastle and James Buchanan.

"If I'm doing the math right, we only scored 16 points in the second half," said Indians coach Tom Hoffman. "Obviously, Greencastle stepped it up defensively, and we had trouble putting the ball in the basket, we couldn't get to the foul line, and we turned the ball over too much."


Both coaches agreed that the critical point in the game was actually late in the second quarter. With Waynesboro (12-5, 4-2) up by 18 points, Blue Devils guard Jaren Gembe scored seven straight points as Greencastle (13-3, 5-1) managed to close the halftime gap to 36-25.

"The key to the game was the last three minutes of the second quarter," said Garon Gembe. "(If) we don't cut down that lead, we don't win."

The Blue Devils continued their run in the third period with a 15-3 surge that tied the score at 42-42 with 1:46 left in the period. Adam Wiestling sparked the run with four points as Greencastle outscored the Indians 19-8 in the period.

Saddled with foul trouble all evening, Dameatric Scott provided the big lift in the final eight minutes. After Kevin Kline and Jordan Reitz combined for five points early in the fourth for Waynesboro, Scott began asserting himself on the offensive end.

"Coach kept telling me to drive," said the Blue Devils center. "At first I was scared, especially after picking up a charge for my fourth foul (earlier in the period)."

But a Scott drive to the bucket with 2:37 to go gave Greencastle the lead for good. The sophomore added two free throws 31 seconds later, blocked a Terrell Rickard shot under the basket to preserve a two-point edge with only seconds remaining, and after a Jordan Gembe free throw made it 55-52, Scott stole the inbounds pass to secure the win.

Matt Anderson cause all sorts of problems for the Blue Devils in the first half, draining three shots from beyond the arc and combining with Rickard for 20 points in the opening 16 minutes.

The Herald-Mail Articles