Advertisement

Fire causes $10,000 in damage to mobile home near Hagerstown

January 18, 2006|by ERIN CUNNINGHAM

A fire that destroyed a mobile home just outside of Hagerstown Tuesday afternoon was ignited by a space heater, said Capt. Chuck Burleson of the Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co.

The fire, at 13710 Lois St., was reported about 3 p.m., and Maryland State Fire Marshals concluded it started when an electric space heater ignited combustible materials in a bedroom, Burleson said.

"The space heater was too close to an air mattress in the bedroom, and that's where the fire started," Burleson said.

The fire was under control within 12 minutes, he said, but about 35 firefighters were on the scene for hours.

The fire caused about $10,000 in structural damage, and $5,000 was lost in contents, the fire marshal said.

One Maugansville firefighter was injured when he was struck with the handle of an ax, Burleson said. The firefighter was taken to Washington County Hospital for an evaluation and later released.

Advertisement

"He's fine," Burleson said. "It was a minor injury."

One occupant in the mobile home also was evaluated at the scene, but was not taken to the hospital. Burleson said there were several people in the home when the fire started, and all escaped from the home uninjured. The fire was discovered by a neighbor, the fire marshal said.

Burleson said the home did not have a working smoke detector.

"It's a total loss," Burleson said of the home. "There was no saving it. All of the living quarters was destroyed, and there was smoke damage and heat damage."

The residents, a family of four, are living with another family, the fire marshal said.

Firefighters from Maugansville, Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. and Greencastle, Pa., responded to the fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|