Three charged in W.Va. robbery

January 18, 2006|by ROBERT SNYDER

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg man was charged Monday following a robbery at an area motel, which also resulted in the arrest of two others following a failed escape effort, police said.

Timothy Wayne Stotler, 32, was charged with first-degree robbery Monday after allegedly barging into a room at the Relax Inn on Winchester Avenue in Martinsburg and robbing the woman there of $70 after grabbing her throat and hitting her in the face.

The woman opened the door after a second woman, who was known to the victim, approached the door with Stotler, and later aided him in the robbery, according to a police report filed in Berkeley County Magistrate Court.


Heather Ann Clark, 20, of Martinsburg, was charged by police with being an accessory to the robbery, after police said she rifled through the victim's belongings and fled with Stotler to a house on Wilson Street, where Stotler later was arrested by Berkeley County Sheriff's Department Deputies S.D. Myers, B. Leake and M. Raphann, according to police.

According to a police report, Stotler was arrested on a tip from a man who later assisted in an escape attempt by Clark, after she had been placed under arrest for the accessory charge. Police allege Clark slipped out of handcuffs and climbed out the window of Deputy R.L. Steerman's police car while it was parked outside the inn, where the officer had driven to continue an investigation into the robbery.

Andrew Henderson, 26, of Martinsburg, was charged with aiding in Clark's escape, after allegedly helping Clark escape from the police car and driving her to his house in the city.

Stotler, who was ordered to have no contact with the victim of the robbery, was arraigned Monday by Magistrate Joan Bragg. He was being held Tuesday night at Eastern Regional Jail on $100,000 bail. If convicted, he faces a minimum of 10 years in prison.

Clark, who also was charged with escaping from police custody, was being held Tuesday night on $150,000 bail. If convicted, he faces a minimum of 10 years imprisonment on the felony charge of accessory and no more than five years on the escape from custody charge, also a felony.

Henderson was being held on $50,000 bail, and faces one to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Preliminary hearings for all three are scheduled for Jan. 26.

The Herald-Mail Articles