W.Va. man faces DUI, fleeing charges

January 10, 2006|by ROBERT SNYDER

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - An Inwood, W.Va., man faces drunken driving and drug charges after police allege he crashed his vehicle into a utility pole late Sunday after a brief high-speed chase with police along Arden Nollville Road in Berkeley County.

Cardinal James Carter, 45, of 425 Harranda Court, was charged with one felony count of fleeing with DUI and another count of possession with intent to deliver a counterfeit substance after crashing into a utility pole while attempting to outrun a police cruiser driven by West Virginia State Trooper 1st Class J.D. Burkhart, police said.

According to a police report, Carter crashed into the pole after his car spun out of control around a curve, bringing down power lines into the roadway.


Burkhart's police cruiser struck the power lines, damaging the emergency lights bar on the cruiser.

The accident occurred shortly after 10:30 p.m. Sunday after the officer clocked Carter driving north at 71 miles per hour in a 45-mph zone near Minnick Road in southern Berkeley County, police said.

Carter, who told police after the accident he was on his way home and had consumed one beer, was arrested after failing several field sobriety tests and a breath sample revealed a blood alcohol concentration of .113. The legal limit in West Virginia is .08 percent.

Carter later told police he drank three beers. A search of his car, which was severely damaged in the accident, revealed three empty beer bottles and another 17 unopened bottles, according to the police report. He refused to submit to a secondary chemical test and later became aggressive with emergency workers who responded to the scene to check him for injuries, police said.

Carter also was charged with misdemeanor speeding, DUI, driving without an operator's license and insurance, driving with improper registration and driving left of center in the road, which resulted in the accident, police said.

Carter was taken to Eastern Regional Jail ,where a search revealed two plastic baggies filled with a white substance stuffed in his left sock, police said. The substance later tested negative for cocaine. He was arraigned Monday by Magistrate Sandra Miller and remains in custody on $31,200 bail.

If convicted, he faces from one to five years in jail or fines as much as $10,000.

The Herald-Mail Articles