Advertisement

Printing machine catches fire at Review & Herald

December 27, 2005|by PEPPER BALLARD

A printing machine caught fire Monday morning at The Review & Herald Publishing Association in Hagerstown, but the building's sprinkler system extinguished it before firefighters arrived, causing heavy smoke, Funkstown Fire Co. Assistant Chief Paul Hottinger said.

The fire alarm went off at The Review & Herald Publishing Association, at 55 W. Oak Ridge Drive, at 4:43 a.m., sending out firefighters from Funkstown to investigate, according to a Washington County 911 dispatcher.

Hottinger said when his company arrived, they went in the front door and began looking for the fire.

"When they got into the bindery area, they found a printing machine on fire," he said.

The company's sprinkler system had gone off, but heavy smoke was filling the area, he said.

Hottinger said firefighters from Halfway and Hagerstown came to help ventilate the building and clean up the water from the sprinkler system.

The machine itself "was all burned up," he said. "They had some crates of paper around the machines that were damaged by the water."

Advertisement

Apparently the machine was on a timer that kicked on without anything to print, he said.

"The hydraulic oil overheated," he said.

He said the group of about 18 firefighters was out of the building by about 7:30 a.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|