Devils hand Indians their first setback

December 13, 2005|by CHRIS CARTER /Staff Correspondent

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - The Greencastle-Antrim boys basketball team went inside early and often to build a hefty halftime lead and held off a feisty Waynesboro squad in the second half to notch a 57-42 victory Monday night.

The Blue Devils scored 18 points in the paint in the first half - compared to just 15 total points for Waynesboro - to take a 31-15 halftime lead. Greencastle then survived two second-half rallies before pulling away to hand the Indians their first loss of the season.

Adam Wiestling was the driving force on the inside for Greencastle as 12 of his 14 points came from within 5 feet of the basket.

"It was real physical at times. I just tried to get position," Wiestling said. "I think (Waynesboro) started over-committing and that let me get even better position."


"We don't really run a lot of set plays, we just try to find the open man," Blue Devils coach Garon Gembe said. "Adam did a great job of moving and finding open spots and he was the beneficiary a lot."

Success by Wiestling, paired with inconsistent shooting by Waynesboro, allowed the Blue Devils to control the first half and forge the big lead, but Gembe was just waiting for the Indians to get it together.

"We certainly expected them to come out with a lot more energy in the second half. We knew they were going to come out and hit us in the mouth and they did," said Gembe. "How we responded was going to be key. We lost our composure momentarily, but were able to regain it and keep them down."

Waynesboro came out firing in the third quarter. The Indians pulled to within 33-25 early in the third quarter when Kevin Kline backed through the lane, drew the foul and made the basket, followed by two technical free throws by Jordan Reitz. Kline made two more buckets later in the quarter, but missed two critical foul shots that would have closed the gap to four points. Instead, Greencastle hit back-to-back shots to regain a double-digit lead.

The second Waynesboro charge also was answered. The Indians slowly picked away at the lead during a 7-2 run to close to within 44-40 with 5 minutes remaining in the game. Those efforts were quickly salted away when Jordan Gembe drained a 3 off a cross-court pass from Ty Thrush to make it a three-possession game.

"They made the plays when they had to," said Indians coach Tom Hoffman. "We kept getting close, but then they pulled away again. Then there were also some critical stages when we needed better shot selection."

After the 3 by Gembe, Waynesboro wasted no time in trying to answer, but Kline's shot rimmed out. The remaining 4 minutes became a game of keep away for the Blue Devils, whose 8-for-8 performance from the free throw line (6-of-6 from Thrush), was more than enough to close out the win.

Thrush finished 9-for-10 from the line and had a game-high 15 points, while Jordan and Jaren Gembe each finished with eight.

Kline was the lone Indian in double figures with 11, while Morgan Beckner and Matt Anderson each chipped in with eight.

The Herald-Mail Articles