Indians burst blinking Bubblers

December 07, 2005|by CHRIS CARTER /Staff Correspondent

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - How does Waynesboro boys basketball coach Tom Hoffman think his Indians responded to their first second-half deficit of the season?

"I guess if you go with the final score, then we did OK," he said.

The Indians used an 18-5 run at the start of the fourth quarter to knock off Boiling Springs 53-45 on Tuesday night.

Waynesboro (3-0) trailed three times in the second half, never by more than three points.

"We didn't come ready to play and that falls on my shoulders," Hoffman said. "Fortunately, we got ourselves together and we came together as a team in the fourth quarter."

The spark that fired the Indians' rally came from junior reserve Devin Sims, who beat the Bubblers (1-2) to seven offensive rebounds in the second half. Sims scored off four of the boards, leading to eight of his team-high 13 points.


"He was the guy that kind of re-energized everyone when we got down," Hoffman said. "The other guys were feeding off the plays he was making on the inside."

"Number 55 (Sims) was the culprit," said Boiling Springs coach Pat Dieter. "He kept going up after the ball, and we knew if we didn't box him out he was going to get those boards. We can't jump with him."

Sims made the Indians' last three baskets of the third quarter on offensive putbacks to close within 35-34. A layup by Matt Bream upped the Bubblers' lead to 37-34 before Waynesboro rallied. Matt Anderson and Jordan Reitz each hit a 3-pointer, Andrew Caron made a pair of free throws and Zach Helman hit a baseline jumper after a steal by Sims to give the Indians a 44-39 lead.

"At that point, it was a staredown and we're the ones that blinked," Dieter said. "Both teams were doing what they were supposed to. The difference was they kept doing what they were supposed to and we didn't. We blinked."

It may have been more of a flinch caused by Sims, who used his large wingspan to outreach Bubblers defenders. Sims' role increased with the absence of 6-foot-3 Kevin Kline and 6-4 Morgan Beckner because of foul trouble. Kline later fouled out with 10 points.

"When the key guys are on the bench, it's up to the rest of the guys to step in and build something," Sims said. "We responded when our backs were against the wall."

At the start of the game, it appeared Waynesboro would be on top of the wall rather than against it. The Indians scored the first nine points and held Boiling Springs scoreless until the 2:46 mark of the first quarter.

The Bubblers battled back and closed to within one at 20-19 late in the first half, but with 2 seconds left, Waynesboro's Caron made the first of two free throws. The second foul shot missed, but was batted by a Bubblers defender to a wide open Helman, who swished a 3 from the top of the key to give Waynesboro a 24-19 halftime lead.

"That was a mental mistake where the ball should have just been caught," Dieter said. "But as soon as (Helman) got it and took the shot, I knew it was going in."

Helman finished with 10 points, while Jordan Reitz added eight for Waynesboro.

Leo Hetrick led all scorers with 17 points for Boiling Springs.

The Herald-Mail Articles