Advertisement

Fire leaves three people homeless

December 01, 2005|by DAVE McMILLION

RIPPON, W.Va. - Fire officials believe space heaters or an electrical malfunction might have led to a Wednesday morning fire that destroyed a mobile home in the Rippon area of Jefferson County, W.Va.

Four space heaters were being used in the home, which was along Scooter Lane off U.S. 340, said Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.

When firefighers arrived at the scene, the mobile home was engulfed in flames and the roof was collapsing, Smith said.

A man, woman and 11-year-old girl who lived in the home had left about 30 minutes earlier, Smith said.

The Red Cross obtained a room at the Towne House Motor Lodge in Charles Town, W.Va., for the people, Smith said.

The mobile home was owned by Doug Stolipher and was leased by Mike Longerbeam.

Citizens Fire Co. members also battled the blaze, Smith said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|