Wildcats' gas tank reaches 'E'

November 13, 2005|By KEVIN SPRADLIN

ARNOLD, Md. - Brooks Godwin scored two goals to lead Pocomoke past Williamsport 2-1 in a Maryland Class 1A state semifinal match Saturday on Siegert Field at Anne Arundel Community College.

Beall and Boonsboro had one assist each.

Pocomoke's players were faster and its passes were sharper for about 70 of the 80 minutes, long enough to establish its superiority and score the winning goal.

"We had it a lot tougher than a lot of other teams to get here," said midfielder Phillip Jordan, who scored the Wildcats' only goal. "We beat Boonsboro and Beall, and they're just as good as (Pocomoke)."

The Wildcats (10-6-1) had already played arguably two of their most difficult matches of the season against Boonsboro in the 1A West semifinals on Nov. 4 and Beall in the region championship match on Nov. 8.


Momentum, unbiased before the first whistle, swung quickly to the Warriors (18-0-1) in the opening minutes.

Godwin was wide open and dribbled in between defenders before lofting a shot from the left side that beat Williamsport goalie Sony Hines just six minutes into the contest for a quick 1-0 lead.

Pocomoke's offensive line kept the pressure on the Wildcats' defenders and Hines for most of the remaining 34 minutes of the first half.

"When you have that much pressure, it changes the game plan," Hines said. "We just couldn't keep the pressure on their side of the field. We were just too tired, I guess."

Second-year coach Carlos Reyes, who wasn't around in 2003 when Williamsport lost to Pocomoke in the state championship, agreed.

"They were very fast, very good," Reyes said. "In the first seven minutes we were at their end of the field three or four times. After 15 minutes, it was as if we tried (only) to defend."

The Warriors took a 2-0 lead less than seven minutes into the second half. This time Godwin took a crisp pass from Rob Godwin. Brooks Godwin, all alone, saw Hines caught on the left side of the net and booted the ball to the right.

Four minutes later, Jordan pulled the Wildcats within 2-1 and gave them hope for more. On a free kick, Charlie Spoonire lofted the ball towards the goal. Jordan jumped up and headed the ball past the Warriors keeper.

"(Spoonire) put it right where it needed to go," Jordan said. "I went up with the keeper and ran into him on the way down."

The keeper missed the rest of the match with an injury to his right arm. Williamsport, however, couldn't take advantage of a reserve keeper due to the pressure from Pocomoke's midfielders.

"I think the guys just ran out of gas," Reyes said. "We tried to make changes and (Pocomoke) just kept playing the same game. We tried to use the speed of our players, but they weren't fast enough tonight."

The Herald-Mail Articles