Veterans Day is set aside to recognize the men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States. The date is traditionally on the 11th day of the 11th month and corresponds with the signing of the armistice that ended World War I in 1918.
Events to honor Veterans Day include:
- The Joint Veterans Council of Washington County program at 9 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial Wall at Martin L. "Marty" Snook Memorial Park in Halfway. Keynote speaker is James A. Adkins, deputy secretary of the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs.
- The annual Veterans Day assembly at Clear Spring High School will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Antietam Unit 236 of the American Legion Auxiliary will sponsor a wreath-laying ceremony at 11 a.m. in the Sharpsburg Town Square. Antietam National Battlefield Park Ranger Paul Chiles of Antietam will be the speaker. The program will include an educational segment on the 75th anniversary of the Arlington National Cemetery Guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
- The auxiliary of Morris Frock American Legion Post 42 will sponsor a Veterans Day ceremony on the steps of the Washington County Courthouse at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Washington County Sheriff's Department Deputy Daniel L. Watson Jr., who was deployed to Iraq last year. The block of West Washington Street near the courthouse will be closed from 11 a.m. to noon for the ceremony.
- A Veterans Day ceremony will be held at Smithsburg Veterans Park at 2 p.m. Capt. Lara Brennecke, a former Washington County resident, will be the guest speaker.
- The City of Hagerstown will host a Veterans Day ceremony and monument dedication at 1:30 p.m. on Memorial Boulevard near Rose Hill Cemetery. The monument is dedicated to all veterans of wars. For information, call 301-739-8577, ext. 116.
- The Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Berkeley County, W.Va., will hold a Veterans Day program at the center's Nursing Home Care Unit dining room. Medical Center Director Fernando Rivera will lead the program. The guest speaker will be Col. Scott Olsen of the U.S. Marines Corps.
Tuesday, Nov. 15
- Homewood at Williamsport will host a Veterans Day luncheon at noon, followed by a memorial service and program. Memorabilia on loan from Homewood veterans will be on display in the showcase window throughout the month of November.