Events scheduled in Washington County to honor Veterans Day include:
- The Joint Veterans Council of Washington County program at 9 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial Wall at Martin L. "Marty" Snook Memorial Park in Halfway. Keynote speaker is James A. Adkins, deputy secretary of the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs.
- The annual Veterans Day assembly at Clear Spring High School will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Williamsport American Legion Post and Unit 202 will hold their annual Veterans Day service at 11 a.m. at the Post Home on South Conococheague Street in Williamsport.
The Springfield Middle School band will perform. Keynote speakers will be officers from the Maryland Army Guard. Also in attendance will be officials from the American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary.
- Antietam Unit 236 of the American Legion Auxiliary will sponsor a wreath-laying ceremony at 11 a.m. in the Sharpsburg Town Square. Antietam National Battlefield Park Ranger Paul Chiles of Antietam will be the speaker. The program will include an educational segment on the 75th anniversary of the Arlington National Cemetery Guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
- The auxiliary of Morris Frock American Legion Post 42 will sponsor a Veterans Day ceremony on the steps of the Washington County Courthouse at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Washington County Sheriff's Department Deputy Daniel L. Watson Jr., who was deployed to Iraq last year. The block of West Washington Street near the courthouse will be closed from 11 a.m. to noon for the ceremony.
- A Veterans Day ceremony will be held at Smithsburg Veterans Park at 2 p.m. Capt. Lara Brennecke, a former Washington County resident, will be the guest speaker.
- The City of Hagerstown will host a Veterans Day ceremony and monument dedication at 1:30 p.m. on Memorial Boulevard near Rose Hill Cemetery. The monument is dedicated to all veterans of wars. For information, call 301-739-8577, ext. 116.
Tuesday, Nov. 15