Williamsport keeps its focus sharp to get picture

November 02, 2005|by CURT HORNBECKER / Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT Despite a two-goal halftime lead, Williamsport boys soccer coach Carlos Reyes still didn't feel comfortable.

Reyes said he talked about maintaining intensity in the second half, and his fourth-seeded Wildcats apparently listened.

The response was a stifling defense and enough offense to secure a 5-0 victory over fifth-seeded Westmar in the Maryland Class 1A West quarterfinals Tuesday night.

The win propels Williamsport into the semifinal round at top-seeded Boonsboro on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

What concerned Reyes after the first 40 minutes was that his club seemed to lose focus after scoring two early goals.

"We lost intensity after the first 15 or 20 minutes," said Reyes. "When you score goals early, that's when it seems to happen. I just told them, 'Guys, don't let up.'"


Williamsport certainly tightened the defensive screws, limiting Westmar (0-13) to just one shot on goal in the final 40 minutes.

Offensively, Derek Hadley who scored one of the two first-half goals got things going when he beat Westmar goal keeper Adam Scott to the ball and kicked into the left side of the net for a 3-0 advantage in the 61st minute.

That was the goal that allowed Reyes to finally relax a little. "You could see (Westmar); it was like they gave up."

Westmar coach Brian McAlpine disagreed.

"We've been playing hard and playing down (in the score) all year. These guys don't give up. They play to the final horn."

Just eight minutes after Hadley's score, senior Brady Myers made it 4-0 when he found the net on a penalty kick.

Phillip Jordan rounded out the scoring with the help of a Charlie Spoonire corner kick.

Hadley, who finished with two goals, said getting off to a quick start was critical.

"That took a lot of the pressure off," said the Wildcats' senior. "We wanted to get off to a quick start. Once we were up 2-0, and we kept the pressure up, I thought we had it.

Matt Oliver got things started in the sixth minute when he dribbled between two defenders for the 1-0 advantage.

Hadley made it a 2-0 edge in the eighth minute when he put a Spoonire centering pass into the left side of the goal.

The Herald-Mail Articles