Hubs OK after corralling shootout

November 02, 2005|by ANDREW MASON

With the North Hagerstown girls soccer team trailing South Carroll 2-0 late in their Maryland Class 2A West quarterfinal match Tuesday night, most of the people at School Stadium must have had the same thought Hubs senior Christine Wason had.

"I actually thought to myself, 'It's over,'" Wason said. "But I'm never going to think that again."

Wason scored two goals in the final 13 minutes of regulation to tie the match at 2-2, and after two scoreless overtime periods, the Hubs edged the Cavaliers 5-4 on penalty kicks for a stunning 3-2 victory.

"There's tremendous, tremendous leadership on this team. This team just never quits," North coach Rick Aleshire said. "It was just a super, super game. I'd like to play that way every night because that's the way it should be played. It was something."


The top-seeded Hubs (13-2) will host fourth-seeded Winters Mill - a winner over Rockville on Tuesday - in a semifinal at School Stadium on either Thursday or Saturday.

The penalty-kick shootout was maybe even more dramatic than the end of regulation as South Carroll (9-5-2) kicked first and jumped out to a 2-0 advantage. After North came back to tie it at 4-4 on successful PKs by Hillary Grove, Wason, Kelsey Brasher and Courtney Whorton, the Cavaliers' sixth shooter failed to put her team on top.

That put senior Brittany Boyer, the Hubs' sixth shooter, in the position she wanted to be in all week.

"That's why we put Brittany there," Aleshire said. "We've been practicing for this every night for the past week, and she kept saying, 'If it gets to me, we're winning it.'"

It got to Boyer and she won it for the Hubs on a shot that beat South Carroll keeper Amanda Montemore to the left corner.

"It was a lot of pressure, but I knew I could make it," Boyer said. "When it came down to the sixth shooter, I knew I had it."

Raeanna Simmons scored both of the Cavaliers' goals in regulation, putting her team up 1-0 in the 11th minute and 2-0 in the 60th minute. And North, which outshot South Carroll 25-6 in regulation, was staring at another quick exit from the playoffs.

"We've been like that all year," said Aleshire, whose team fell in the quarterfinals last year after being seeded second. "Lots of shots, but we just didn't get them in. We had three or four go off the crossbar. ... But I thought if we could get a goal in before the 10-minute mark, we still could win it."

Wason, who was sidelined all of last season with a knee injury, scored on an assist from Brasher in the 68th minute to make it 2-1, then tied it in the 79th minute on an assist from Whorton for her team-leading 15th goal this season.

"Wason's been big for us all year," Aleshire said. "She's just a tremendous impact player."

The Herald-Mail Articles