Advertisement

Wood stove fire damages house near Clear Spring

November 01, 2005|by PEPPER BALLARD

BIG POOL - A fire in a wood stove Monday morning forced the evacuation of two people from a home near Clear Spring, said Scott Wolff, assistant chief of Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Co.

The fire, in a two-story, wood-frame house at 10702 National Pike, was put out within 10 minutes of firefighters' arrival, Wolff said.

The home, owned by William Schendel, sustained about $5,000 in damage, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.

"You could see smoke from the outside of the house. On the inside, the fire was contained within the walls," he said.

The source of the fire was a wood stove, Wolff said.

"There was a crack in the chimney. The heat got into the walls," and the embers "lit the boards on fire," he said.

Advertisement

About 40 firefighters from Clear Spring, Williamsport, Maugansville, Hancock and Halfway responded to the 6:42 a.m. call, Wolff said.

Clear Spring Ambulance also responded, but no one was injured, he said.

The homeowner and his girlfriend made it out of the house before firefighters arrived, Wolff said. The house is livable, and the occupants have other sources for heat, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|