Rebels fall short twice in 2A West

October 28, 2005|by TIM KOELBLE

South Hagerstown's boys and girls soccer teams each went through 80 minutes of scoring futility on Thursday night at School Stadium.

The offensive misfirings left the Rebels with season-ending losses in Maryland Class 2A West first-round matches. In the girls game, South was blanked by Middletown 6-0, and the boys followed with a 4-0 loss to South Carroll.

Middletown (7-7-1), the defending state 2A champion, took some time to get untracked, but once the Knights got going, the sword went deep in on the Rebels.


Juliann Grossnickle scored the first of her two goals in the 21st minute with a right-footed shot from 10 yards out off a pass from Meagan Sheffler, beginning a flurry of goals for the Knights.

In the 27th minute, Amanda Kinna scored the first of her two goals on a ball off the foot of South's Chelsea Githens-Brewer about 5 yards in front of the goal, punching it past Rebels keeper Brittany Shadrach.

Two minutes later, Sheffler scored for a 3-0 lead. The Knights added three goals in the second half on goals from Grossnickle, Kinna and Amanda Derr.

"We took awhile to get untracked," said Middletown coach Heather Kline. "We think our record is a bit deceiving. We've had a hard time scoring and Kinna is just coming back from injuries to both knees and getting back in playing shape."

South (0-13-1) tried early to equalize the Knights with a defensive wall.

"We wanted to block and clog them up," said South coach Bruce Buhrman. "Middletown is a very accomplished team with stronger players and they played a strong defensive game."

Middletown outshot South, 25-1.

Despite allowing six goals, Shadrach performed admirably, stopping 16 shots, many requiring great effort.

- South's boys battled South Carroll (5-9-1) on even terms through the first 21 minutes before Edward Dawson pushed a shot past Rebels keeper Justin Higgins for the lone score of the first half.

The Rebels (2-11-2), who had only four shots on goal in the game, had their best scoring chance in the 31st minute, but freshman midfielder Richard Nicholson couldn't quite find the net as he crossed in front of Cavaliers keeper Chris Ashcraft.

Dawson, who picked up a yellow card in the first two minutes of the match, opened the second half with a goal on a penalty kick in the 42nd minute following a South handball.

South Carroll finished off the evening with goals from Justin Dickerson and Greg Florey. The Cavaliers got off 21 shots and Higgins made six saves.

"We struggled to move to the final pass and we just don't have the striker we need," said South coach Jimmy Mills, who said goodbye to nine seniors.

"Coach (Mills) stuck with us through tough times for four years," said departing senior Ben Caffarelli, one of several seniors who began playing soccer without any experience prior to high school.

The Herald-Mail Articles