At the September meeting of the Hagerstown Lioness Club, five Washington County students who were awarded scholarships for the 2005-06 academic year were honored. All the recipients were enrolled at Hagerstown Community College for the fall semester. They are:
- David Cross, a 2005 graduate of Washington County Technical High School. Cross' career goal is to be a network administrator and a PC technician. He is the son of Terrance Cross of Hancock.
- David Ernst, a 2005 graduate of Clear Spring High School. Ernst plans to transfer to a four-year college, where he will pursue a degree in elementary or physical education. He is the son of Charles and Luanne Ernst of Clear Spring.
- Elizabeth Hill, a 2005 graduate of South Hagerstown High School. Hill is enrolled in the nursing program at HCC and hopes to receive an associate R.N. degree before attending a four-year college. She is the daughter of Anna Hill-Dobbins and Mitchell Dobbins of Hagerstown.
- Carrie Johnson, a 2005 graduate of Smithsburg High School. She plans to pursue a degree in education from a four-year college. She is the daughter of Gary Johnson of Smithsburg and the late Ann Johnson.
- Danielle Shives, a 2005 graduate of Clear Spring High School. Shives is an education major at HCC who plans to transfer to Frostburg State University. Her goal is to be a teacher of blind children. She is the daughter of Bruce and Sherry Shives of Big Pool.