Advertisement

Unattended stove causes house fire

October 12, 2005|by ERIN CUNNINGHAM

WILLIAMSPORT - A house fire Tuesday night on North Artizan Street in Williamsport was caused by an unattended stove, Williamsport Volunteer Fire Co. Chief William Ball said.

The fire at 20 N. Artizan St. started shortly before 9 p.m. and took about 30 minutes to put out, Ball said.

The homeowner, 81-year-old Betty Baker, whom Ball called "Mrs. Williamsport," was home at the time.

Baker was not injured in the blaze, but the inside of the home was destroyed, according to Baker's grandson David Baker.

"Yeah, fire took the inside," said Baker's wife, Bobbie. "She was kind of shook up."

Bobbie Baker said Betty Baker had lived in the Artizan Street home, which she rented, for about 24 years. She said members of the community already were talking Tuesday night about ways to help Baker.

Advertisement

"Don't worry," Bobbie Baker said. "She'll be taken care of."

Ball said Baker was not cooking at the time but might have left the kitchen stove on.

Thirty firefighters worked to put out the fire, Ball said.

Firefighters from Williamsport, Halfway, Funkstown and Hagerstown responded to the scene. The scene was cleared shortly after 11 p.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|