Man surrenders after brief standoff

October 11, 2005|by PEPPER BALLARD

WILLIAMSPORT - A man surrendered to police from a Fenton Avenue home Monday morning after a brief negotiation was prompted by a report that he allegedly had dynamite, a handgun and a baby in the house with him, Washington County Sheriff's Department Capt. Doug Mullendore said.

Ronald Eugene Wilson, 28, of 15709 Fenton Avenue, was arrested on charges contained in separate warrants after he was talked out of the house, Mullendore said.

No charges were filed in connection with Monday's incident, Mullendore said.

A Sheriff's Department dispatcher said a call reporting a domestic incident came into police headquarters at about 5 a.m., and deputies and other responders had left the scene by 8:50 a.m.

Mullendore said the man's girlfriend called police from a location down the road from the house, which was half of a duplex. He said the man's parents lived in the other side of the duplex.


"She mentioned that she believed he had dynamite and their children in the house," said Hagerstown Police Department Sgt. Paul Kifer, a member of the county's Crisis Negotiation Team.

Mullendore said, "It was believed that there was a stick of dynamite and he may have had a handgun."

He said that Wilson allegedly had their baby with him when the woman left the house.

"When our first units arrived on the scene, he was standing outside (with the baby) and ran back into the house," Mullendore said.

Kifer said he was paged to respond to the house at about 6:15 a.m.

He said negotiators communicated with the man using a bullhorn.

Mullendore said the man was "outside on the back porch, curled up in some blankets" when police talked with him.

"Within minutes, he came out," Kifer said.

He said Sheriff's Department Investigator Kenny Barnhart, also a negotiator, talked the man out of the house.

Police searched the house after the man's surrender but found "no weapons, no dynamite," Kifer said.

The man was wanted through two warrants, both charging him with violation of probations, Mullendore said. One alleged violation was on a felony theft scheme charge and another alleged violation was on an assault charge, he said.

Wilson was being held without bond Monday night at the Washington County Detention Center, according to a spokeswoman there.

The Herald-Mail Articles