Free ball racks up Warriors' points

October 08, 2005|By MARK KELLER


While many area high schools postponed their Friday night football games, the show went on for the Boonsboro Warriors and Williamsport Wildcats.

The reason? Simple, at least in the mind of Boonsboro coach Clayton Anders.

"It's football. Let's play," Anders said.

So, they played, through a driving rain, on a mud pit of a field, with the knowledge that the team that could keep the ball out of the mud the most would likely walk away - however drippingly - a winner.

The Wildcats lost five fumbles, three of which led to Boonsboro touchdowns, as the Warriors rolled to a 49-0 victory in an MVAL Antietam game.


Williamsport (2-3, 0-2) fumbled seven times in all and also had an interception returned for a touchdown.

"We talked a lot about that today. Look for the ball," Anders said. "The ball is going to get on the ground on a night like this. It's up to the defense to get it and do something with it."

That wasn't a problem for the Warriors (3-2, 2-0), who made each of the Wildcats turnovers hurt.

Williamsport's defense held and forced a Boonsboro punt on the Warriors' first possession of the game. But the Wildcats fumbled on their first play from scrimmage and the Warriors recovered, starting what would become a haunting trend for Williamsport.

Five plays after the turnover, Jeremiah Mills went off tackle for a 5-yard score and a 7-0 lead after the first of five Aaron Leggett extra points.

Leading 14-0 later in the first quarter, the Warriors pounced - or, rather, got the bounce - on another Williamsport fumble. Quarterback Justin Bussard took a hit as he ran a keeper around end, popping the ball up in the air and into the arms of Zach Shoemaker, who ran 33 yards for a score.

On the second play of Williamsport's next drive, the ball came loose again, and again the Warriors recovered, setting up Kyle Kane's 5-yard TD run for a 28-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Kane extended the Warriors' advantage late in the second quarter when he picked off a pass by Bussard and returned it 70 yards for a touchdown. Adam Rippeon added the two-point conversion for a 36-0 halftime lead, activating the running clock for the second half of the game.

The Herald-Mail Articles