Advertisement

Fire heavily damages home

October 04, 2005|By DON AINES

chambersburg@herald-mail.com

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Hamilton Township man said peanut oil he was heating on a stove was the cause of a two-alarm fire that heavily damaged his home Monday afternoon.

The fire at 145 Highland Drive was called in at 1:23 p.m. and took about 10 minutes to bring under control, Franklin Fire Co. Deputy Chief Mark Trace said. Although the first 911 call came from a neighbor who spotted the smoke from several blocks away, Trace said firefighters were able to quickly find the house.

"I forgot I left the peanut oil on the stove," said the man, who refused to give his name. He said he had left the kitchen when Meals on Wheels delivered a meal and was distracted.

Advertisement

The man said he tried to put out the fire using a garden hose for about 15 minutes before calling 911 himself.

"I thought it was confined, but it got through one air vent and got through the ceiling," he said.

"I got a little bit singed. That's all," said the man, who had a injury to his left arm. He was checked by emergency medical personnel at the scene but refused treatment, Trace said.

Trace said the fire spread into the second floor and attic of the split-level home. Firefighters were on the scene for more than two hours removing charred and smoke-damaged belongings and building materials.

The house appeared almost undamaged from the front, but the fire had gone through the roof to the rear of the building.

The man was going to stay with a relative, Trace said.

Firefighters from Franklin County, Pa., units Chambersburg, Marion, New Franklin, Greencastle, Mercersburg, Shippensburg and Fayetteville also responded, as did the Air 10 unit.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|