Plant owner is determined to rebuild

September 06, 2005|By BONNIE H. BRECHBILL


Only days after a fire caused $5 million in damage, Chambersburg Waste Paper officials plan to have their trucks running and all of their employees back to work.

Owner Kelly Adams said Sunday afternoon that "our two biggest concerns are getting our employees back to work and going out to service our customer base. Saturday morning, we had trucks out running."

Adams, who had been on his way to Ocean City, Md., Friday when he got the news that the facility was burning, said he plans to rebuild the company that was started by his parents in 1974.


Adams and his employees temporarily are using the former Franklin Storage warehouse and office across U.S. 11 from the site.

The ruins still smoldered and smoke hung in the air Sunday afternoon. The site, on Loop Road, is fenced and cordoned off, with a security guard on duty. Scraps of charred paper blew around.

"The fire company came out again Saturday night," Adams said. "The paper burns, the ash blows away and there's new paper underneath."

Three picnic tables and a grill used by employees stand beside well-trimmed bushes, all unharmed. The blue metal maintenance garage also was untouched.

The entire processing plant and offices were destroyed. A few truck trailers were lost, but all of the truck tractors were spared, Adams said.

"That's why we can start again (this) morning and get all of our 75 employees back to work," he said.

While Chambersburg Waste Paper is classified as a recycler, Adams said the company actually is a processor. The company's customer base includes printing companies, distribution centers, manufacturers ? anyone who generates a large volume of waste paper or cardboard, Adams said.

"Our trucks bring paper in from a 400-mile radius," Adams said. "We sort out the various grades, bale it and ship it all over the world to be recycled into all grades of new paper, cardboard and tissue."

"Once we get the OK from the insurance company, we're going to clean up and build a new facility," Adams said. The buildings that burned had been built in several stages beginning in 1974, when his parents started the business.

"We had about 75,000 square feet of space in four buildings," Adams said. "We'll rebuild. It will be one building about the same size."

The Herald-Mail Articles