Teenager wanted in shooting death jailed

August 23, 2005|by DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A teenager wanted in the May shooting death of another teenager in Williamsport, Pa., was caught Friday in Chambersburg after police took him in for a curfew violation, according to borough police.

Roland Robinson, 17, of Philadelphia, was picked up Friday night as police were questioning him and two other teenagers about a burglary earlier that day, Detective William Frisby said.

Robinson was transferred Saturday from Franklin County Prison to Lycoming County Prison, where he is being held on a criminal homicide charge in the May 8 shooting of Terrance Baity, 17, said Capt. William Lynn of the Williamsport Police Department.


Robinson also is charged with possession of a firearm without a license, possession of a firearm by a minor, possession of instruments of crime and flight to avoid apprehension, Lynn said Monday.

Frisby said the arrest of Robinson came about through the investigation of a burglary Friday morning. A borough man confronted two teenagers coming out of his apartment with a Nintendo game system at about 10:30 a.m., he said.

The two teenagers left the computer game behind and fled, but the man discovered his and his girlfriend's cell phones were missing, according to the police report. At 10:23 p.m., the man called police to report that he had spotted the teenagers with another teenager in the 100 block of West Catherine Street, police said.

The man told police he had confronted them about the theft of the cell phones. One of them then reached into some bushes and pulled out what appeared to be a silver revolver and the man fled, Frisby said.

After the man called police, officers stopped the three on West Washington Street, two of whom the man identified as the teens he had confronted earlier in the day. Frisby said the third teenager gave his name as Renard Mitchell, but later was identified as Robinson after police contacted his father based on information Robinson had given them.

Police also found out Robinson was wanted on the criminal homicide charge in Williamsport. He was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Gary Carter on the fugitive warrant and jailed without bail, Frisby said.

Robinson was not identified as the person who pulled the handgun or as one of the burglars, Frisby said. He said the report by the investigating officer did not indicate that a weapon was recovered.

Lynn said two other people were shot in the May 8 incident in which Baity was killed. A 13-year-old was hit in the foot and 20-year-old Shauib Ali was hit in the side, Lynn said. The boy was only able to identify his assailant by the name "Shoes," whom police later determined was Robinson, Lynn said.

Lynn said the 7:45 p.m. shooting in an alley was gang-related. Baity was shot in the chest and later pronounced dead at Williamsport Hospital, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles