Four youths, Myersville man charged in beating at mall

August 21, 2005|By Pepper Ballard

HALFWAY - Four youths were sent to the Alfred D. Noyes Children's Center juvenile detention facility in Rockville, Md., after they allegedly beat and robbed a 15-year-old Hagerstown boy Friday night of his wallet, watch, clothing and cell phone on railroad tracks near Valley Mall, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said in a written release.

About 8:20 p.m., employees at McDonald's, at 1729 Massey Blvd., called police after the 15-year-old boy walked into the restaurant beaten. He had sustained injuries to his face and head, the release states.

The boy told deputies he was beaten and robbed by a few youths who he last saw walking on railroad tracks behind McDonald's toward Halfway Manor. Deputies found youths matching his descriptions and brought them to the restaurant parking lot, where the 15-year-old identified them as his attackers, according to the release.

A 17-year-old boy and two 14-year-old boys, all of Halfway, a 16-year-old Frederick, Md., boy and a 21-year-old Myersville, Md., man were charged in the incident, police said.


The 21-year-old, Matthew Paige Hargett, of 10840 Highland School Road, was charged with second-degree assault, robbery, theft less than $500 and carrying a concealed weapon.

All four youths were charged as juveniles with second-degree assault and robbery. The 16-year-old boy also was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. The 17-year-old boy also was charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon.

All of those charged had been at Valley Mall and walked to the area of the railroad tracks, police said. It was there that they knocked the 15-year-old boy to the ground and began to kick and hit him, according to the release. Those charged then allegedly stole the boy's clothes and personal items.

Deputies allegedly found knives on Hargett and the 17-year-old. Police recovered the victim's watch and cell phone, but could not find his wallet.

The victim was taken to Washington County Hospital for treatment, police said in the release.

The Herald-Mail Articles