Pa. man facing rape charge slated for trial next month

August 16, 2005|by DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Waynesboro, Pa., man charged with raping one woman and breaking into the homes of two others was denied a continuance Monday in Franklin County Court and his trial was scheduled for the September term.

Michael B. Stahley, 22, of 125 N. Grant St., was scheduled for a nonjury trial Monday before Judge John R. Walker. Assistant District Attorney Nancy Meyers said Stahley requested a continuance but she objected.

"It's an old case. He has six continuances in one case and eight in another," she said.

Court records showed three pending cases against Stahley, two of which occurred within a few minutes of each other.

The first incident occurred Dec. 9, 2003, according to Waynesboro police. A woman called police at 11:47 p.m. to report a man trying to break into her Elder Avenue home through a kitchen window.


The man ran off but left footprints in the snow, police said.

At 12:07 a.m. on Dec. 10, police were called to a home on North Church Street when a woman reported a man broke in and assaulted her and her daughter, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

The woman said the man grabbed her and threw her to the floor and began choking her. The woman got out of his grip and told her daughter to go to a neighbor and call police, but the man then attacked the daughter, police said.

When the daughter got away from the man, he fled the home, police said.

Washington Township police stopped Stahley as he walked on Sheffield Manor Boulevard following the second incident. The affidavit stated all three victims identified Stahley and that his shoes matched the footprints in the snow.

Stahley later was charged in a May 22, 2004, sexual assault against a Waynesboro woman. The affidavit stated the woman had been at a tavern with Stahley and several other people.

At about 3 a.m. on May 22 she was awakened by a man who threatened her with a knife, the affidavit said. She was able to run into the kitchen, where she knocked the knife out of his hand, but he took her back to the bedroom, where he beat and sexually assaulted her, according to the affidavit.

She ran to the kitchen again, but the man got another knife and assaulted her again, police said. The woman then pretended to be unconscious and the man left.

The woman identified Stahley as her assailant, the affidavit stated.

Stahley is charged with rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, theft and two counts each of burglary and criminal trespass, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles