Advertisement

Trash fire spreads to nearby home in Williamsport

July 27, 2005|by HEATHER KEELS

WILLIAMSPORT - A trash fire broke out in the 100 block of North Conococheague Street around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and spread to a house at 153 N. Conococheague St., Washington County Emergency Services dispatchers said.

At least eight units from Williamsport, Fairplay and Halfway were on the scene to fight the blaze, a dispatcher said. As of press time, the fire had not been contained and the building had partially collapsed. Emergency dispatchers were not aware of any injuries.

Authorities closed Md. 68, also known as Clear Spring Road, from Bottom Street, dispatchers said.

Neighbors reached by phone around 10 p.m. said a crowd had gathered to watch and that the fire was still burning after 90 minutes of firefighting.

"I stood on the porch because you could see the fire flying up in the sky," said Mary Banzhoff, 66, who lives at 130 N. Conococheague St.

Advertisement

Banzhoff said the same two-story house, which she referred to as the Myers' residence, was damaged in a fire in March 2003.

"It's a real, real old house," she said. "They were supposed to tear it down and they didn't do it."

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|