Police briefs for 7/1/05

July 01, 2005

City man is treated after motorcycle crash

A Hagerstown man was taken to Washington County Hospital after his motorcycle skidded over a median Thursday while entering Interstate 81, a Maryland State Police trooper said.

Donald Lee Rough, 23, of 105 N. Edgewood Drive, was riding a 1991 Honda CBR motorcycle at about 9:15 p.m., Maryland State Police Trooper 1st Class J.W. Eichelberger said.

Rough's motorcycle was on the entrance ramp from U.S. 40 westbound to enter I-81 southbound when the bike skipped over the median. Rough and the bike skidded onto the right-hand travel lane of the highway, Eichelberger said.

A tractor-trailer was in that same lane, Eichelberger said, but was able to stop before striking Rough. Rough's injuries were not life-threatening, Eichelberger said.


- Gregory T. Simmons

Man faces reckless endangerment charge

A Hagerstown man was taken into police custody Thursday after allegedly pulling the trigger of an unloaded rifle during an argument with his wife, Hagerstown City Police said.

Joseph Edward Biser, 37, of 1133 Hamilton Blvd., was charged with reckless endangerment. He was awaiting a hearing before a court commissioner Thursday night, City Police Sgt. David Long said.

Long said police were called to a basement apartment at the address at about 8 p.m. for an apparent argument. As officers were standing outside the home, they heard two clicks that sounded like a trigger, Long said.

When police entered, they said they found Biser holding a rifle.

Official: Prison inmate still at large

A state prison inmate who walked off a work site Wednesday was still at large Thursday, a state prisons spokesman said.

Derrell Frisby was serving a 10-year sentence for assault/escape and for a parole violation for possession of cocaine, Maryland State Police said Wednesday.

Frisby is an inmate at the Maryland Correctional Training Center south of Hagerstown. He was working at the Forty West Landfill on U.S. 40 west of Hagerstown Wednesday, when he could not be found after lunch.

Maryland Division of Correction spokesman George Gregory said the investigation into the disappearance was continuing Thursday.

Frisby, 28, is 6 feet 3 inches tall, weighs 175 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes, according to prisons information. Frisby was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and a red baseball cap with the letter "W" on it.

Police ask that anyone with information about Frisby to call Maryland State Police at 301-739-2101. Washington County Crime Solvers is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to Frisby's capture.

Police: Man takes items from church

An unknown man who identified himself as a fire inspector took personal items from inside a church Wednesday about noon, according to Hagerstown city police and fire officials.

Assistant City Fire Marshal Richard Miller said the man told a secretary at St. John's Lutheran Church, 141 S. Potomac St., that he was a city fire inspector and wished to look at the sprinkler system.

The man distracted the secretary and took several items, officials said.

Miller said city firefighters conduct routine inspections throughout the city, but will always either be in uniform or have identification. Fire marshals will have police identification.

Buildings with sprinkler systems should have a contract company that inspects those systems, Miller said.

Social worker convicted of fraud

FREDERICK, Md. - A Knoxville, Md., licensed social worker was convicted of felony Medicaid fraud by a Frederick County circuit judge, the Maryland Attorney General's Office said in a news release.

Donny W. Smith, 53, of Maple Crest Road, submitted claims to the Maryland Medicaid program for services that he had not provided. The attorney general's office estimated the value of the false claims to be $92,000. The claims were made between April 2003 and April 2004.

Circuit Judge Theresa M. Adams sentenced Smith to five years in prison, with all but nine months suspended. Smith also was ordered to repay the money to the state.

Smith was a licensed, certified social worker and mental health services provider in Frederick and Washington counties, the attorney general's office said.

W.Va. man faces charges after chase

FREDERICK, Md. - A Harpers Ferry, W.Va., man was taken into custody after a police chase that ended in a crash in Frederick County, according to a release from the Frederick County Sheriff's Office.

John Wesley Bates Jr., 43, was being held Thursday at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center, police said. Among the charges Bates faces are reckless driving, fleeing and eluding, driving while intoxicated and possession of marijuana.

Police said they were called at 1:56 p.m. Thursday for a hit-and-run accident on Ballenger Creek Pike near Point of Rocks. Police soon began following a van fitting the description of the suspected vehicle, which wouldn't stop when police tried to pull it over.

The Herald-Mail Articles