The nation's independence will be celebrated with music, food, festivals and fireworks at various Tri-State area events.
- The Shepherdstown (W.Va.) Fire Department's carnival will have fireworks at 10:45 p.m. The carnival grounds are behind the fire department on W.Va. 45 west of Shepherdstown. For more information, call 304-876-2311.
- The Gettysburg Fire Department Carnival will have fireworks at 11 p.m. at Gettysburg Recreation Park. For more information, call 1-800-337-5015.
- The Hagerstown Suns will have fireworks at Municipal Stadium following the game. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
- Hagerstown Speedway, 15112 National Pike, west of Hagerstown will have fireworks following the 40th annual Johnny Roberts Memorial races. Races start at 7 p.m. Rain date is July 3. For more information, call 301-582-0640 or go to www.hagerstownspeedway.com.
- The Maryland Symphony Orchestra's Salute to Independence at Antietam National Battlefield will feature patriotic music at 7:30 p.m., followed by fireworks. For information, call 301-432-5124 or go to www.nps.gov/anti.
- The Hagerstown Suns will have fireworks at Municipal Stadium following the game. Game time is 6:35 p.m.
- Boonsboro's Independence Day celebration in Shafer Park will begin at 5 p.m. and end with fireworks shortly after dusk. The Boonsboro Historical Park will be dedicated. The event features food, beverages and games, including a dunking booth. There is no rain date. For more information, call 301-432-5141.
- The Fourth of July celebration starts at noon at Chambersburg (Pa.) Memorial Park. There will be an antique car show, craft fair, food and games. Flag retreat begins at 7 p.m., followed by the Mercersburg Community Band. Fireworks begin around 9:30 p.m. The rain date is July 9. For information call 717-261-3275.
- Williamsport's Fourth of July festivities will start at 7:45 p.m. with opening remarks, invocation, honor guard and singing of the national anthem at Byron Memorial Park. The Williamsport Community Band will perform at 8 p.m. with fireworks expected to begin at 9:15 p.m.
- 2005 Fourth of July in War Memorial Park, Tennessee Avenue, in Martinsburg, W.Va., features fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Festivities begin at 1 p.m. and include entertainment, pony rides, mini-train rides and food. Sponsored by City of Martinsburg. For information, call 304-264-4842.
- The fireworks at Hagerstown's Fairgrounds Park begin at 9:30 p.m. Live entertainment, clowns and children's activities begin at 6 p.m. Bring blankets or lawn chairs. Trolley service from the Ames parking lot off Dual Highway to the fairgrounds will be available from 6 p.m. until the end of the event. For information, call 301-739-8577, ext. 116, or go to www.hagerstownmd.org.
- The Waynesboro (Pa.) Summer Jubilee begins at 8:30 a.m. with the Firecracker 5-K Run at the corner of East Main Street and Virginia Avenue. The race is followed by the Fourth of July parade on Main Street and a full day of free entertainment. The festival will be across from Waynesboro Hospital. Fireworks at dusk will be on the grounds of Waynesboro Area Senior High School. For race information, call 717-765-6564 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For festival information, call 717-762-9118 or go to www.summerjubilee.com on the Web.
- Fireworks, children's activities, a chili cook-off, a pie-eating contest, a best patriotic-dressed competition and multiple stages of live music are part of "An Independence Day Celebration" in Baker Park in Frederick, Md. The day begins at 7:30 a.m. with a volleyball tournament near Culler Lake. The chili cook-off starts at 8:30 a.m. along Fleming Avenue. Fireworks at dusk. Free shuttle bus service will be provided. For more information about the festival and shuttle bus schedule, call 301-694-2489 or go to www.CelebrateFrederick.com. To register for volleyball tournament, e-mail FREDERICKvbc@hotmail.com.