CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Six alpacas escaped from a Monday fire that caused an estimated $75,000 damage to a small barn in Greene Township, according to the owner and a Fayetteville Volunteer Fire Co. report.
The fire at the barn and storage building, owned by Dr. Jeffrey and Mary Jane Landon of 1143 Ragged Edge Road, was called in at 5:52 p.m., according to the report. It was engulfed in flames when the first units arrived, the report stated.
"They watched the fire for about half an hour before they went back to grazing," said Jeffrey Landon. The alpacas often stay under an overhanging porch roof of the two-story barn and were able to get away without having to be rescued, he said.
No animals or firefighters were injured in the blaze, according to the report.
Landon said his wife discovered the fire in the barn, which was built about six months ago. A truck inside the barn, hay and other equipment was destroyed, he said.