Police briefs for 6-20

June 20, 2005

Man charged with fleeing from police

A Bunker Hill, W.Va., man faces charges after he allegedly fled from Maryland State Police late Saturday night.

Triston Perez, 22, allegedly failed to stop after troopers monitoring the area of westbound U.S. 40 near Interstate 70 for street racing tried to pull him over for speeding, police said.

Perez, who was driving a high-performance 1987 Volkswagon, refused to stop, making several U-turns in the area before traveling west on I-70 at speeds that exceeded 130 miles per hour, police said.

The vehicle became disabled as a result of mechanical failure on the ramp to southbound Interstate 81, where Perez was taken into custody without incident, police said.


Perez was charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving on a suspended license and operating an unregistered motor vehicle, police said.

A 15-year-old passenger was released to her parents, police said.

Man faces host of charges in Frederick

FREDERICK, Md. - A Beallsville, Md., man was charged with 12 traffic violations after he allegedly drove drunk through a parking garage at 1:10 a.m. Saturday at 2 S. Court St. in Frederick, according to the Frederick Police Department.

Charles Reece Jefferson, 29, placed his car in reverse and struck a wall after a police officer on the scene to help another motorist smelled alcohol and instructed Jefferson to turn off the vehicle, police said.

After striking the wall, Jefferson allegedly exited the parking garage, breaking the control arm as he left. Police followed and stopped Jefferson in the 200 block of West Patrick Street.

According to a press release, police found marijuana and a switchblade-style knife during a search of Jefferson's vehicle.

Jefferson was charged with driving with alcohol in the bloodstream in violation of court order, driving while impaired, driving under the influence, eluding police, failing to drive right of center, failing to stop at a red light, driving at a speed greater than reasonable, disobeying a lawful order, failing to stop after property damage, possessing a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a dangerous weapon and malicious destruction of property, according to the release.

Frederick woman charged in crash

FREDERICK, Md. - A 32-year-old Frederick woman was charged with failing to stop after an accident after she allegedly injured another driver Friday in a crash in Frederick.

Heather Lynn Stitely Howes, of 2416 Lakeside Drive, was arrested at about 8:35 p.m. Friday after allegedly striking an occupied Toyota truck in the 300 block of Prospect Boulevard and leaving the scene, according to Frederick Police.

Police found the vehicle they say Howes was driving at the time of the accident nearby in the 200 block of Washington Street. The vehicle's front passenger tire was damaged.

Howes was charged with driving a motor vehicle with a suspended license, failing to stop after an accident involving damage, failing to remain at the scene of an accident involving injury and failing to control speed to avoid collision, according to the release.

The Herald-Mail Articles