Police briefs - afternoon

June 14, 2005

Pa. man, 27, killed in accident

McCONNELLSBURG, Pa. - A Hustontown, Pa., man was killed Monday afternoon in Fulton County when he lost control of his car on South Madden Road, according to a news release from Pennsylvania State Police.

Ben Knepper, 27, was traveling north at about 3:10 p.m. in his 1997 Pontiac Sunfire on South Madden Road, nearly a mile north of Pa. 475, when he lost control of his car on the wet road and hit a tree, police said.

He was wearing a seat belt, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release.

Coroner: Man died of natural causes

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A Quincy Township man whose body was discovered Monday afternoon off Staley Road died of natural causes, according to Franklin County Deputy Coroner Kenneth Peiffer.

The body of Eugene F. Bakner, 84, of 8315 Tomstown Road, was discovered by Pennsylvania Forestry Department of Conservation and Natural Resources personnel at about 2:15 p.m. Peiffer said the body was discovered a short time after Bakner died.


Bakner had gone to a spring off Staley Road to get water, Peiffer said. The road goes through Michaux State Forest.

There will be no autopsy, Peiffer said.

Local taxi driver reports robbery try

A Miller's Transportation driver was approached by a gunman this morning at the intersection of Roland and Adams avenues, but sped off before money was stolen, according to a news release from the Hagerstown Police Department.

Police said at about 3:40 a.m., the cab driver responded to the 600 block of Hayes Avenue to pick up a fare, but could not find the customer. At the intersection of Roland and Adams avenues, a man approached the cab, displayed a handgun and demanded money, but the cab sped off, police said.

The gunman is described as a white man in his 20s, about 6 feet 1 inch tall, police said.

Police ask anyone with information on the incident to call the department's criminal investigation division at 301-790-3700 ext. 234.

Sheriff's deputies respond to calls

The Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to the following calls Monday, Sgt. Mark Knight said:

· At 1 p.m., a trailer was reported stolen from AC&T Fuel and Food Center, at 11564 Hopewell Road. The trailer had Tennessee registration, 207893.

· At 2 p.m., a stereo was reported stolen from a Dodge Dakota pickup truck parked at the 1-70 and Md. 66 Park 'n' Ride.

· At 3:30 p.m., a windshield was reported damaged on a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant parked in Keedysville. About $300 in damage was reported.

· At 5 p.m., alleged domestic violence was reported in the first block of Vista Village in Hancock. No arrests were made.

· At 5:30 p.m., a breaking and entering was reported in the 200 block of North Main Street in Boonsboro. It is unknown whether anything was stolen.

· At 6:30 p.m., a Sears employee at Valley Mall reported a stolen purse, which contained $10 and miscellaneous cards.

· At 10 p.m., alleged domestic violence was reported in the 700 block of North Redman Street at the former Fort Ritchie Army base. No arrests were made.

W.Va. man charged in hunting incident

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A Kearneysville, W.Va., man was charged Saturday with negligent shooting of a person, according to Jefferson County Magistrate Court records.

Gary C. Riley, 22, of 62 Forrestview, also was charged with shooting at game not plainly visible, records state.

Riley was hunting turkey on a farm off Border and Leetown roads on April 26 when he heard what he thought was a turkey calling from the direction of an old logging road, court records state.

Riley, who was using a 12-gauge shotgun, looked through the brush and fired one shot. Riley heard a person saying he had been shot, records state.

Riley ran to the victim, Jerry Wayne Hipp, and asked Hipp if he needed to be taken to a hospital or a nearby farmhouse, records state. Hipp, who was hit by pellets, told Riley he would be OK, according to court records.

Negligent shooting of a person carries a possible fine of $1,000 to $10,000 and/or up to a year in jail.

Shooting at game not plainly visible carries a possible fine of $100 to $500 and a jail term of 10 days to 100 days.

The Herald-Mail Articles