Advertisement

Fire damages laundromat

March 04, 2005

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Fire broke out Thursday morning in a laundromat in the Charles Town Plaza, causing an estimated $15,000 damage to the business, a fire official said.

Firefighters were notified at 6:49 a.m. about the fire in The Laundry House, said Lt. Donnie Lanham of the Independent Fire Co. A woman who was in the laundromat washing her clothes noticed the fire and called 911, Lanham said.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, heavy smoke filled the laundromat, Lanham said.

Firefighters entered the business and near the middle of the building they found fire coming out of a dryer and reaching the roof, Lanham said.

Firefighters knocked down the fire quickly, he said.

Although fire officials are not sure what started the fire, it might have been caused by lint in the dryer which caught fire, Lanham said.

Advertisement

Damage to the building included burned ceiling tile and a burned washer and dryer unit, Lanham said.

Charles Town Plaza is north of Charles Town along U.S. 340. The laundromat is between the Wishing Well Restaurant and a mattress store.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|