Wildcats' boys eliminated

March 02, 2005|by ANDREW MASON

WILLIAMSPORT - What seemed even stranger than seeing a 7-16 boys basketball team in a Maryland Class 1A West Region East Sectional semifinal Tuesday night was watching it improve to 8-16 to advance to the sectional final.

Records can be deceiving. Poolesville (8-16) is proof of that.

Following their 50-32 thrashing of Smithsburg (12-11) on Saturday, the Falcons turned back Williamsport (13-11) 73-59 on Tuesday.

"We played 14 games against 3A teams this season and two others against 4A teams," Poolesville coach Larry Hurd said. "It's so much nicer to play teams that are in our competition level. We're 4-1 against 1A schools."

Mike Mulcahy came off the bench to score 14 of his game-high 21 points in the second quarter as the Falcons pulled away. With the game tied 14-14 at the end of the first quarter, Mulcahy opened the second with back-to-back 3-pointers as Poolesville took the lead for good.


David Warrenfeltz did his best to keep the Wildcats in the game, hitting a long jumper from just inside the arc to make it 23-22 with about a minute left in the first half and then answering Mulcahy's third 3-pointer of the period with a trey of his own to make it 26-25 with 15 seconds left.

"You're not going to get much hotter than Warrenfeltz was tonight," Hurd said.

Except for maybe Mulcahy, who hit another 3, barely beating the buzzer, to give his team a 29-25 halftime lead.

"We had just scored to cut it to one and got a little momentum, and they just took it right back," Williamsport coach Scott Mowbray said. "They came out (in the second half) and never looked back."

A short jumper by Greg Brooks gave Poolesville its biggest lead of the third quarter at 48-38 with 30 seconds left, before Warrenfeltz made another attempt to turn the momentum. The Williamsport senior sank a buzzer-beating deuce to bring it back to single digits at 48-40.

"That shot could have put us over the top, but we were never able to build enough momentum," said Warrenfeltz, who finished with 14 points. "They did a good job of never letting us get fully back in the game."

After Williamsport's Phil Jordan made two free throws to open the fourth period to cut it to 48-42, the Falcons answered with an 8-0 run to all but seal the deal with a 56-42 advantage with four minutes remaining.

The Wildcats got to within 58-51 with two minutes left on back-to-back buckets by Tyler Beard, but they couldn't catch a break at the foul line. Poolesville made 15 of 16 free throws in the final 1:47, getting an 8-for-8 effort from Brandon Moore in that stretch.

Moore finished with 18 points, while Brooks added 15.

Beard scored nine of his team-high 17 points in the final quarter, while Jordan finished with 12. Six-foot-7 senior center Corey Broadwater, the Wildcats' leading scorer this season, was held to five points and no field goals.

"We didn't really get the production out of Corey we were looking for," Mowbray said. "They're a good team and they made it tough for us to get the ball in there.

"They play in a very tough league against very good teams night in and night out. We knew we'd have to play very well to win."

The Herald-Mail Articles