Advertisement

Fire breaks out at Dagmar

February 27, 2005|BY ANDREW SCHOTZ

A fire broke out in an apartment at the Dagmar Hotel on Summit Avenue around 10:40 p.m., evacuating the building.

Five people were taken to the hospital, Hagerstown Fire Chief Gary Hawbaker said.

Daniel Barnhouse, who lives in apartment 508 on the sixth floor, said the fire was in the apartment next to his.

He said he was talking to his girlfriend on the phone when he heard some banging on the wall. He went downstairs to get a security guard.

When he came back upstairs, residents already were leaving because of the fire, he said.

As Barnhouse spoke, a Hagerstown Fire Department ladder truck was extended to the sixth floor, where fire and smoke were rushing out of a window.

Advertisement

Residents gathered on the sidewalk by The Herald-Mail, across the street.

- Andrew Schotz

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|