Advertisement

Parent-Child Center telethon canceled for '05

February 26, 2005|By TARA REILLY

An annual telethon that raised thousands of dollars for child abuse prevention and other services for families in need will not be held this year, but there's no clear reason why the Parent-Child Center event has been canceled.

"The board of directors have canceled the telethon for this year," Dave Bonebrake, program director of the Parent-Child Center, said Friday.

Bonebrake said he didn't know why the event was canceled. It had been planned for April 16.

He did, however, say it might be rescheduled or that other events might take its place, but nothing was certain.

The purpose of the telethon, which was held for 16 years, was to promote child abuse awareness and raise money for the nonprofit center. The event aired on NBC25.

Last year's event raised more than $121,000, Millie Lowman, the center's executive director said at the time.

Bonebrake said Lowman wasn't at the center on Friday. She could not be reached for comment later in the day.

Advertisement

Parent-Child Center programs include parenting classes, assistance for pregnant teenagers, helping families thought to be at-risk for child abuse or where child abuse already is occurring, and working with children in the court system.

- Tara Reilly

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|