A Life Remembered - Noland always remained close to her family

February 20, 2005|by MARLO BARNHART

Editor's note: Each Sunday, The Herald-Mail will run "A Life Remembered." The story will take a look back - through the eyes of family, friends, co-workers and others - at a member of the community who died recently. Today's "A Life Remembered" is about Ellen Alrose Shore Noland, who died Feb. 11 at the age of 84. Her obituary appeared in the Feb. 14 editions of The Morning Herald and The Daily Mail.

On any given day, Ellen Noland and her sisters could be found lunching at Morris Frock American Legion Post 42 on Northern Avenue as they so often did.

But last Wednesday, the family gathered there to celebrate Ellen's life following her death on Feb. 11 at the age of 84.

"We sisters were very close," Patricia Stinson said. "She's done my hair for 30 years and she did our mother's hair for more than 50 years."


Though she didn't have a shop, Ellen had maintained her certification as a licensed beautician, accommodating family members as well as residents of Homewood at Williamsport and the Western Maryland Hospital Center for many years.

She also shared her musical talents with others by playing piano, singing with the Sweet Adelines and in the choir at John Wesley United Methodist Church.

Younger by nine years, Patricia described their childhood in Kitzmiller, Md., as wonderful and full. Their father, John Shore, worked as an auditor for coal mine companies there and later in West Virginia before moving the family to Hagerstown when he got work at Fairchild in 1943, again as an auditor.

"I remember Ellen as being very feminine and so neat," Patricia said. "Our other sisters and I were messy, but Ellen always had everything just so."

Ruth Paris, whose nickname is "Pete," said Ellen was a very generous sister.

"When my husband first came out of the service, we stayed with her," Pete said.

Pete, who with her twin, Chris Hull, was two years younger than Ellen, enjoyed those lunches with Ellen. So did the youngest sister, Sylvia Maisack, who lives in North Carolina and only could make them occasionally.

Sylvia, who also has been called "Sibby" since childhood, said Ellen and her other sisters still kept in touch by phone.

"But I missed a lot of those lunches," said Sylvia, who now lives in Newburn, N.C.

Chris said she and Ellen both were pregnant at the same time and she said that brought them closer.

"The thing I remember about Ellen was that you could go to her and talk about anything," she said. "I'm so going to miss picking up the phone and talking something over with her - I treasured her point of view."

There were two brothers, though only John Shore of Media, Pa., survives.

"I was the youngest in the family, 15 years younger than Ellen," John said. "I remember her practicing on the piano while I was playing under the piano."

When the family moved from Kitzmiller to West Virginia, John was sent to stay with Ellen in Hagerstown so he wouldn't be in the way. He remembers going to Superior Dairy for ice cream and playing with a little toy submarine in the lake at City Park.

"After two weeks with Ellen, I didn't want to go home," John said.

A niece, Joan Bradford, said she enjoyed traveling with Ellen.

"We had a lot of adventures together and a lot of giggles," Joan said.

As family members remembered Ellen, they marveled at the closeness that continued through the years, growing stronger while adding new generations.

Son-in-law David Resh said he has known Ellen since he first met her daughter, Sylvia, who now is his wife.

"Sylvia was 16 when we first met and she will be 62 soon, so that's how long I knew Ellen," he said.

Kristen Schupp, daughter of David and Sylvia, said her grandmother always will be remembered by her with joy and warmth.

"My two sons called her G.G. for great-grandmother," Kristen said. "She delighted in them and they in her."

David said while the family will miss Ellen, they were thankful she wasn't in poor health for a long time before she passed away.

"It was the way she wanted it to be," he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles