Advertisement

Man treated after fire

February 08, 2005|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

A Hagerstown man burned in a fire caused by unattended cooking was treated at Washington County Hospital and released Sunday.

A hospital spokeswoman said Monday that Chris Doss was released from the facility Sunday, the same day he sustained burns at his residence.

Hagerstown Assistant Fire Marshal Richard Miller said Doss, 22, of 53 Broadway, was being tended to at a family member's home Monday. He was burned when food on a stove caused a fire and left him with significant burns, Miller said.

Miller said investigators initially were concerned that Doss was injured more seriously than he actually was as a result of the fire, which has been ruled accidental.

Advertisement

"Of course, when you're dealing with burns, you don't know what you're dealing with until doctors can take a look at it," Miller said. "He's home and OK. That's a good thing."

A Hagerstown Fire Department official said the fire was reported Sunday at 11:40 a.m. He said that kitchen fire was extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher, and the other person inside the home at the time of the fire did not require hospitalization.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|