Advertisement

Man survives shock and fall

February 03, 2005|by DAVE McMILLION

charlestown@herald-mail.com

RANSON, W.Va. - A Ranson man was in stable condition at Washington (D.C.) Hospital Center on Wednesday night after he touched a 7,700-volt power line with a piece of aluminum trim and fell about 20 to 30 feet, a fire official said.

Billy Carroll, 29, of 127 W. 7th Ave., was putting on siding while working on a house at the intersection of Marshall Street and 7th Avenue, according to fire and police officials.

Carroll, who was standing on a scaffold, was holding a piece of aluminum trim when he touched the power line with the trim, said Donald Longerbeam, assistant chief of the Independent Fire Co.

Advertisement

Carroll was shocked and fell off the scaffold, which was about 20 feet to 30 feet high, Longerbeam said.

Others working with Carroll went to get help, Longerbeam said.

Carroll was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital and later taken to Washington Hospital Center, said Longerbeam.

Because there were marks on the house caused by an electrical arc, firefighters examined eaves and other areas on the house to make sure no fire had started on the outside of the building, Longerbeam said.

The house was part of a row house, Longerbeam said.

Firefighters received the call about 2:20 p.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|