- Brian Shappell
Md. man faces drug, fugitive charges
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Martinsburg police Thursday apprehended a Maryland fugitive in the stairwell of an apartment building in the Martins Landing Complex on Tavern Road.
Eric Lamont Johnson, 29, of no fixed address, was being held on $100,000 bond in the Eastern Regional Jail Thursday night.
According to police, Johnson was charged with possession with intent to deliver cocaine in addition to charges of being a fugitive from justice.
Police said 8.1 grams of crack cocaine, 6.5 grams of marijuana and $2,560 in cash were taken from Johnson.
Woman victim of purse snatching
A woman walking in the 400 block of Salem Avenue was hit over the head with an unknown object Thursday morning and robbed of her pocketbook, the Hagerstown Police Department said in a news release.
At about 1:30 a.m., the woman said she was approached by a white man, who hit her over the head with an unknown object, causing her to fall to the ground, and stole her pocketbook before running off, police said.
The woman sustained a minor head injury and was taken to Washington County Hospital for treatment. Her name was not released.
The robber is described as a white man in his 30s, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and 190 pounds. He was described as wearing a white and blue T-shirt and jeans.
Police ask anyone with information on the robbery to call the Hagerstown Police Department at 301-790-3700.
Hagerstown police respond to calls
The Hagerstown Police Department responded to the following calls recently, according to Sgt. Paul Kifer:
· Disorderly conduct was reported at Washington County Hospital. An arrest was made.
· Shoplifting was reported at Wal-Mart on Garland Groh Boulevard. An arrest was made.
· Medical supplies were reported stolen at Washington County Hospital. No charges have been filed.
· Tires were reported flattened on a motor vehicle parked at Hamilton Boulevard and Park Lane.
· Theft less than $100 was reported at Martin's Food Market on Dual Highway.
· Second-degree assault was reported in the 400 block of Mitchell Avenue.
· A bike was reported found in the first block of West Oak Ridge Drive.
· Identity theft was reported in the 100 block of Broadway.
Heater reported stolen from site
A portable heater was reported stolen Wednesday from a house under construction in the 13700 block of Orchard Ridge Road, Washington County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Mark Knight said.
He said the theft of the portable heater was reported at 3 p.m. Wednesday. No value was listed for the heater in the report, he said.