Advertisement

Crumbs from the cracker barrel

December 29, 2004|from the Cracker Barrel

In the 1850s George Frick built a steam engine, which was initially used in his Ringgold shop. Frick (1826-1891) got the idea for a steam engine while observing a teakettle "singing" on a stove. At the age of 19, Frick had opened a repair shop at the home of his parents near Quincy, Pa. Married in 1849 to Frederica Openlander, Frick and his wife moved to Ringgold in 1852 where he expanded his shop to include the manufacture of threshing machines. As the Civil War loomed on the horizon in 1861, Frick moved to Waynesboro, Pa., where the Frick Co. became a household name for over a century.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|